Re- SC - deep frying

Erica Rodgers the1edr at atlas.vcu.edu
Tue Sep 30 06:58:37 PDT 1997

> The negative side of Olive oil is a low smoking point...
><<<<
>
>What exactly is the smoking point? I assume this is the temperature
>when the oil will begin to burn on it's own. Correct? Then when would
>you want to use an oil with a low smoking point vs. one with a higher
>smoking point? Or is this more of a side concern and what you usually
>use to determine use is something like cost or taste?

SMOKE POINT The stage at which heated fat begins to emit smoke and acrid
odors, and impart an unpleasant flavor to foods. The higher the smoke
point, the better suited a fat is for frying. Because both reusing fat and
exposing it to air reduces its smoke point, it should be discarded after
being used three times. Though processing affects an individual fat's smoke
point slightly, the ranges for some of the more common fats are: butter
(350°F); lard (361° to 401°F); vegetable shortenings (356° to 370°F);
vegetable oils (441° to 450°F) ­ corn, grapeseed, peanut and safflower oils
all have high smoke points, while that of olive oil is relatively low
(about 375°F).

Source: The Food Lover's Companion. (Granted not period, but the definition
still applies)

Basically, if you are flash frying or deep frying or anything that needs to
be very hot, very quickly, you want something with a very high smoking
point, such as grapeseed oil.  Olive oil should not be used above medium heat.

Hope this is of help.. or atleast of interest...

Erica.

Erica Rodgers
Program Support Technician - Audit & Management Services
Virginia Commonwealth University
Phone: (804) VCU-2352
Fax: (804) VCU-2356
http://www.vcu.edu/iaweb/iam_welc.html