Re- SC - deep frying

marilyn traber margali at 99main.com
Tue Sep 30 08:20:04 PDT 1997

Mark Harris wrote:

> What exactly is the smoking point? I assume this is the temperature
> when the oil will begin to burn on it's own. Correct? Then when would
> you want to use an oil with a low smoking point vs. one with a higher
> smoking point? Or is this more of a side concern and what you usually
> use to determine use is something like cost or taste?
>
> Thanks.
>   Stefan li Rous
> markh at risc.sps.mot.com

the point at which the fuming starts, not the flash point. You want an
oil with a higher smoke point as frying at lower temps doesnt get the
outside sealed off soon enough and you get oily soggy goodies-remember
the old crisco adds with Florence Henderson? I buy welfry, a commercial
product that works out cheaper than crisco, but you need either a
wholesale 'club' near you or a good deal with a commercial rest. supply
place.

margali