SC - OK - here's a kind of anal question...

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Sep 3 11:01:53 PDT 1997

rebecca tants wrote:

> (ya, ya - more questions for my feast)
>
> It talks about rice all over the place, so I'll be using it.  I've
> read the discussions on the rialto archive about brown vs white rice.
> But I haven't seen anything about short grain vs long grain or the
> different varieties available these days.  Which is most appropriate?
> (Or have I lost what was left of my sanity and am now going WAY overboard?)
>
> Ruadh

This topic is only as overboard as you want it to be...certainly if you
want to get as close as you can to the food the author of the book is
talking about, it should be an issue, if only a tangential one.

I think short-grain rice is the way to go. Long-grain rice was an imprt
from Asia, while short-grain rice was grown in places like Spain,
Greece, and Italy, and was presumably more readily available. Also, it
seems to me, at a quick glance, to be often ground to meal, in which
case it wouldn't matter. I could be wrong, though.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com