SC - Tip o' the Day idea

marilyn traber margali at 99main.com
Tue Sep 9 10:26:49 PDT 1997

Uduido at aol.com wrote: Seriously tho', could the references in Apicius to
pre-cooked spelt when

> making dumplings be referring to puff pastry dough? Tried it in
> Vehlings
> BookII, Number 46, and incorporated the scallops , pepper and eggs
> into the
> dough. Dropped it by tblspns into hot fat (olive oil). It turned out
> great....what do you think?
>
> Lord Ras

Pate fouillite/puff pastry is not precooked, Pate choux/'creampuff'
dough is. Puff pastry is flour and water dough rolled with shortening
over and over again, until it is 20 or so layers thick. Choux dough is
flour, water and shortening mixed together in a sauce pan and then pipes
out onto a baking sheet, where it is cooked a second time. I apprenticed
in a kitchen during my misspent youth[until i figured out that i'd
rather do it as a hobby and enjoy it]

margali