SC - feast serving and place set

Mark Harris mark_harris at risc.sps.mot.com
Tue Sep 9 20:08:57 PDT 1997

As I was going through my utensils-msg file to check the dates on forks for
another message here, I ran across this one that also might point to a good
source for the person looking for feast serving ideas.

Stefan li Rous
markh at risc.sps.mot.com
===========================

Date: 20 Mar 1995 20:57:59 -0500

Greetings, all, from Angharad ver' Rhuawn. [The name Katerine used
to go by - Stefan]

<snip>

        Furnivall, Frederick J., _Early English Meals and Manners_,
          Early English Text Society Original Series #32, (London:
          Oxford University Press), 1868.

Don't be scared away by the date!  This is an edition of several period
manuscripts on the subject, including John Russell's Boke of Nurture,
Wynkyn de Worde's Boke of Kervynge, and the Boke of Curtasye.  They
include all _kinds_ of details about how tables should be set.  The
scholarship of the edition is as fine as you will find.