SC - A herb/spices question. . .

marilyn traber margali at 99main.com
Wed Sep 10 10:23:56 PDT 1997

Varju at aol.com wrote:

> Having just moved the some of the same bottles of herbs, spices and
> extracts
> for the third time in two years I began to wonder if any of this stuff
> was
> still good.  What is the average shelf life for seasonings?   How can
> you
> tell when its time to get rid of them? (Beyond a large layer of dust.)
>
> Many thanks,
> Noemi
> varju at aol.com

Well, I try to not let mine get that old[lol] i do a fair amount of
cooking and run through supplies rather frequently, but a good rule of
thumb is 6-8 months and keep them out of direct sunlight and away from
the heat-so keeping them by the stove is right out. I also don't favor
buying a sizeable supply and keeping the extra in the freezer, it seems
to adversly affect the taste afterwards, and sometimes if not well
sealed they can pick up freezer smell.

margali