SC - snails and other things.

Mark Harris mark_harris at risc.sps.mot.com
Wed Sep 10 18:13:23 PDT 1997

Aoife commented:

>If you haven't run across good English food, where have you been eating, fer
>cryin' out loud? Railway Stations? Private homes, small neat tea-houses,
>country pubs, that's the way to go, me lad.

Reminds me of the comments of a traveller through Africa who said the worst
thing Britain ever did as an empire was to introduce Brussel Sprouts throughout
Africa. And no, I don't really care if they are period or not. I'm still not
going to eat them.

>  Q: When does the earlist recipe for snails occur?

I'd like to hear about this. Anyone got any recipes? I have seen canned
snails in the grocery store, but didn't have any idea how one would cook
or eat them. I can very well imagine them being served at a medieval
feast. Although without forks I'm not sure how to eat them. Perhaps you
were to dig them out with a knife. Or perhaps they were served to the
table already out of the shells.

Stefan li Rous
markh at risc.sps.mot.com