Bacon substitute (was Re: SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #258)

marilyn traber margali at 99main.com
Thu Sep 11 07:26:28 PDT 1997

Nick Sasso wrote:

> >> Thanks for the idea. I was wondering if you think that fresh strips
>
> of
> >> side
> >> pork could be used for the same purpose? The smoky qualitty of the
> >> bacon
> >> tends to make me somewhat hesitant ......
> >> Lord Ras
>
> >Uduido at aol.com wrote:
> >You could if you had a meat slicer, to get really thin slices from
> >fatback can be tricky. Not all bacons are smoked however. I sort of
> >like the bacony taste in my cod  shrimp and scallop chowders as i
> >dont
> really use a lot it never gets overly strong.
>
> >margali
>
> Good gentles,
>
> May I suggest pancetta as a delightfully suitable substitute for the
> bacon?  This Italian 'bacon' is cured, but not smoked, leaving the
> sweet
> pork flavor intact.  You find it in rolls rather than slabs, and can
> get
> your butcher to slice it wafer thin if necessary.  It is a wonderous
> gift of my homeland in central Italy, and a boon to cooks everywhere.
>
> fra niccolo difrancesco

Good Brother,
I feel you may be under a misapprehension, wee are trying to find a
substitute for pork caul or the messentary lining of the abdomen. It has
no discernable flaavor, it merely serves to hold together the
crispinette and impart some extra moisture. I seem to remember panchetta
to have more meat in it than american style bacon-though do correct me
if I am wrong.

Thanks for the info-

margali