SC - Soup stock

Uduido at aol.com Uduido at aol.com
Thu Sep 11 18:04:30 PDT 1997

<<  i will forever disregard
 his suggestion to put peelings and the matter one would normally discard
 as inedible in soup stock. The blackish gunk between the layers of onion
 and skin is a fungus, one of several hundred varieties is possible-and
 several of the varieties are very toxic and i feel that if you would not
 serve it, you shouldn't cook with it[i am no referring to bones or
 carcass trimmings and the tough buits of the asparagus or cruciform
 veggies, i am referring to onion, carrot, potato peelings-things that
 regularly get tossed for sanitary reasons.] >>

First I'd try to find another onion vendor. My onions do not have the black
layer you descirbe unless they have been stored improperly. Secondly, I
worked for an old Italian gentleman as head cook several years ago and we
always had a stock pot simmering on the back of the stove,. We put carrot
peelings, outer cabbage leaves, oonion skins, stems , stalks bones...you name
it. It produced some of the mopst heavenly Minestrone you could ever eat. :-)
As a matter of course I scrub and wash my vegetables well but do not, for the
most part peel them. Most of the vitamins are immediately under the skin.
There is nothing unsanitary about the skins if you wash them first.

Lord Ras