SC - Gourds and Squash

ND Wederstrandt nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Sep 12 05:49:16 PDT 1997

        I thought I would include this since buffalo gourds are getting a
bad rap.  The following info is found in Wildflowers of Texas by Geyata
Ajilvsgi, Shearer Pub Co.  Bryan, Texas.   pg   173  "Buffalo gourd is a
rank and rampant vine that often covers surrounding vegetation...  Thefruit
is a small gourd which reportedly was boiled and eated by Indians.  The
crushed roots are used for washing clothes. The buffalo gourd is related to
several cultivated crops, bottle gourds, luffas, muskmelons, watermelons,
pumpkins, squashes and cucumbers."   She also said that it is the leaves
that smell bad... the flowers have a very pleasant smell.

Clare St. John