Bacon substitute (was Re: SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #258)

marilyn traber margali at 99main.com
Sat Sep 13 11:33:27 PDT 1997

Nick Sasso (fra niccolo) wrote:

> You are, indeed, correct m'lady.  I jumped in the middle oif a thread,
>
> it appears, without foresite.  Pancetta is too meaty for theuse, as
> you
> have said.  I know of no substitue that has the same qualities as
> caul.
> Tying and basting would be a work intensive substitute.
>
> please, pardon
>
> niccolo

No paardon required, I felt you did pop in in the middle of a thread, my
own server seems to do it to me as well. I find that if I read my mail
several times a day it doesnt seem to do it as much.

The problem with tying and basting  is that we are referring to
essentially ground meat, crumbs or grainy substance like corn meal,
wheat meal[groats] or alternative grains bound with egg, or cream, or
liquified fat. They can be pan fried, deep fried, baked, or boiled. The
caul serves as a sausage skin would, except porous. The fat enriching
could be accomplished by adding extra ground fat, but that would then
come more nunder the headding of sausage. Not to say there is anything
wrong with seafood sausage, but the effect is definitely to be more like
a croquette.

I have been thinking of having a roman based feast, after starting to
read my roman stuff again. There is a good batch of roman based
websites, and a few are specifically food based, and you can download
redactedrecipes from them.

I found these webs by looking under keyword roman

margali