SC - Re: Sugar Stuff

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Sep 14 17:57:38 PDT 1997

Elise Fleming wrote:

> Greetings!  (I forgot the thread name since I get the digest
> version...)
>
> Adamantius wrote:
> >Another possibility is that since the line between hard crack syrup
> >and caramel is a fine one, especially in non-shiny pots and the uneven
> >light some period kitchens had, the sugar may have become partially
> >caramelized by the time the cook realized it had reached the correct
> >stage.
>
> >More likely a combination of the two, I suspect.
>
> That's what I had thought at first but then changed my mind.  Once the
> sugar has darkened to that caramel stage I haven't been able to make it
> come back less dark, and that's what this says: "...and stere it
> euermore with a spature till it tourne owte of hys browne colour into a
> yelow colour..."  If stirring a carameled sugar syrup would "uncaramel"
> it, that would indeed be marvelous!
>
> I will post the Manuscrito Anonimo recipe as soon as I can locate it!
>
> Alys Katharine

No, stirring just makes it reflect/refract light differently. The syrup
from which taffy is made also starts out clear, but gets lighter in
color as air is worked into it, or as it begins to crystallize. Same for
meringue: egg whites are clear, but when you beat them they become
opaque white, and egg yolk foams, as well.

The only part of this recipe I'm a little leary of taking literally as
written is the testing with the fingertips. Off the top of my head, and
without the proper written background, I'm not sure, but isn't hard
crack sugar syrup around 250 or 260 degrees Fahrenheit? Considering that
it's also sticky, you could get a hell (and that term is chosen
carefully) of a burn if this isn't done just right...

Napalm, anyone???

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com