SC - Cook's badge

Marisa Herzog marisa_herzog at macmail.ucsc.edu
Tue Sep 16 11:35:29 PDT 1997

                      RE>>SC - Cook's badge                        9/16/97

Tibor responded:
<You want a badge?  I didn't see the commentary.
Personal opinion, first.  The folks in the SCA use badges in ways that are not
consonant with period usages.<snip>

this is a good thing to remember, but the idea was that we are all this
multitude of people- but if we were to all be attending an event, how would we
know?  This list is amazingly huge- from all over the Known World.  Wouldn't
be nice to go to an event and see a symbol on someone's belt or in their
encampment and be able to go up and say "hi, look me too!" and put a name to a
face?  and if you add in the cathedral puns this does end up being similar to
a military/religious order ;) sort of like the scallop shell on all the
pilgrims.  This is a pilgrimage of sorts- all of us from all over the map
conversing and sharing- good and bad, but constantly reminding eachother of
why we "play"

<snip>
I can think of several symbols that are cooking related, and yet quite
medieval.  Anyone want a saint's martyr's symbol, the gridiron?  Old Marian
<snip>

why a salamader and cheese? well it started with snails see, and
degenerated...  I kinda like the alchemic insinuation.
I am going to search the SCA armorial to try to avoid conflicts, and attempt
to draw something up this evening.  I am not so bold that I will submit it,
but I would be honored to be included in such a group.

- -brid
(humbly scuttling back to altar'boy' post)