SC - Squash blossoms

marilyn traber margali at 99main.com
Wed Sep 17 07:05:54 PDT 1997

Uduido at aol.com wrote:

> << I don't know, I make stuffed battered squaash blossoms, and are
> known to
>  batter rose petals and nasturtiums and assorted other flowers to
> eat...
>
>  margali >>
>
> Eeeeeeeek! :-0 I'm totally confused by this post :-( I ususally read
> your
> posts with enthusiasm (right after Adamtius'). but I am thoroughtly in
> the
> dark here (could be too much sherry but I doubt it. :-)) Would it be
> possible
> to clarify the above so my confusion could be dissipated? Basically,
> I'm
> asking 'What has this got to do with anything'? Your current 'tastes'
> appear
> to be irrelevant to the thread.
>
> Lord Ras

I'm honored!

To make stuffed squash blosoms-go out to the garden and pinch off the
squash blossoms when the get big but before they are fully open. Take to
the kitchen and wash out all the litle buggies, unless you want the
extra protein. Make up a mixture of ground meat, spices and
panada[breadcrumbs and cream] gently stuff into the blossom, and smooth
the blossom back into its long slender shape. Make up a nice light
batter[i like tempurah, so we do it that way] dip and deep fry. The
dipping sauce is up to you.

For the other flowers, wash and make sure there are no bugs, roses you
dip each petal individually in the batter, nasturtium leaves and flowers
can go in conjoined, lilac i have seen threaded like a mini lei and
separately.

one of my favorite dipping sauces is a pain to make,

chop finely or grate ginger, an onion, place in a blender with soy sauce
and mirin, blenderize for a little while, then place in a muslin bag and
press out the mingled juices. I like to add a touch of honey as well.
The original is a japanese dipping sauce called 'red maple'

margali