Old WP format (was: SC - oat recipe)

Par Leijonhufvud parlei at ki.se
Sat Sep 20 11:02:44 PDT 1997

On Fri, 19 Sep 1997, Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt wrote:
> > existence.  Somewhere on a disc in Word Perfect I have a paper about
> > Scottish food. It's such an old version that my 'puter can't interpret it
> > now. Sigh.

> As for your paper on Scottish foods, would you be willing to e-mail it
> to me as an attachment? I have a pretty exhaustive set of translators
> and text editors. I have to. I own a Mac, and I don't see anybody
> bending over backwards to translate OUR stuff ;  ) . Anyway, I have
> several things that might be able to open and read your paper, and also
> three different versions of WP. If I can open it up, I'll send it back
> to you in some format you can read. Deal?

If Adamantius can't fix it I'm willing to have ago at it. IIRC WP uses
pretty much plain text wiht markup, so I should be able to open it VI and
remove the markup. This is something that this household (i.e. my lady,
whose persona grew up in a Culdee monastery) has an interest in seeing.

BTW, this can be used as a warning example: virtually none of the
proprietary formats (i.e. all wordprocessors, etc) are the way to go for
long term accesability. Save it in a plain text format as well, or go with
systems that by definition will be readable in the furture (LaTeX, SGML,
or something like that). And keep track of the media; 5.25"  disks are
getting hard to read due to a lack of drives...

/UlfR
(who's in the past snarfed the text out of effing M$ PowerPoint files
using VI on a Unix system)

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                  par.leijonhufvud at labtek.ki.se
I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on tape somewhere.