SC - peer fear / noodles

Uduido at aol.com Uduido at aol.com
Sat Sep 20 14:43:20 PDT 1997

<< I have always avoided peers because a) they looked so busy and I didn't
 > want to bother them, >>

By all means bother them! One of 2 things will occur: a) they will look at
you like you're some kind of insect and promptly ignore you, or b) they will
welcome the chance at getting away from the other brass hats to do something
really different and talk with you.
If a) happens give them the best 'bite my butt who are you looking at'
routine and if b) happens then much fun and finding a new friend could
happen. :-)

<<and b) they looked so *important* that what could I possibly have to say to
them? >>

Hello is usually a good thing to start with. :-)

<< I remember the first time I approached a
 > king outside of court.  My knees were knocking, my hands were shaking, I
 > lost my voice.  Pretty embarrassing, to say the least.  >>

Although my experience was somewhat different, I also felt an awe and
overwhelming need to bow a lot! LOL. But the meeting of Kings is, in my mind
, much less traumatic than meeting knights, laurels, Barons, etc. If the
'little' man meets Kings and Queens it's usually because they managed to
sneak away from their entourage for a little bit and they are most thankful
to be able to be' themselves' with the common man for a little while. All in
all, kings are more friendlier in the long run than many of the other
'important' people.

<<That's why
 > working in the kitchen is so great.  I figured if I fed 'em well, they'd
 > come back for more!

I have met more Laurels, Kings, Queens, Pelicans and whatnot in the kitchen
than at any other activity in the SCA. If they are in the kitchen, the odds
are they are trying to get away from their 'adoring' fans for a while. :-)

Lord Ras