SC - Held up feast

Ron Martino Jr yumitori at marsweb.com
Sat Sep 20 23:18:57 PDT 1997

> And you are surprised? Overall, the fact is that the feast at an event
> (assuming there is one) represents approximately one-fourth of the
> general SCA activity at an event, the others being martial activities,
> combined garb-admiration, politicking, and generic schmoozing, and
> finally, a miscellaneous category that covers everything else, like
> dance, music, gaming, etc. It was a major celebratory act to feast in
> period. It is usually considered in the SCA as a distant third or fourth
> in order of importance. Most people won't leave the fighting if they
> hear that the feast has been served early, for example. It'll just have
> to wait. Same with court. Affairs of State are more important than
> Blancmanger, and a cook who can't keep a meal indefinitely with no loss
> of quality isn't a good cook. Not to keep quoting from "The Odd Couple"
> all the time, but the attitude often seems to be, "Can't you keep
> pouring gravy over it?", and the response is, quite reasonably, "What
> the hell am I, the Magic Chef? What gravy?"
>
> > i just wonder if we, as cooks, really -realize- that the society may not
> > see us as we see ourselves.
>
> Probably not, but that will be for us to change.
>
> Adamantius

	I've actually seen this problem from another side - in Artemisia we
often hold court *after* the feasts, so as to not spoil the cooks'
efforts. We ran into a major problem with this practice at a Solstice
Court one year, when the feast ended up taking so long (reasons why are
in dispute), that we ran out of time to finish the court business. The
site closed at midnight, and the deadline was so firm that the manager
called the police when we weren't gone by a quarter after. Everything
was eventually taken care of, but I have absolutely no wish to go
through a similar situation ever again.

	Yumitori