SC - Deep fat frying/rabbit

Mark Harris mark_harris at risc.sps.mot.com
Tue Sep 23 00:42:54 PDT 1997

Melesine asked about rabbits in Britain:

Second query, re all the rabbit recipes.  This has bothered me for a while.
That lovely illustrated Medieval Cookbook by Maggie Black has a note to a
picture (p. 29) that says rabbits were imported into Britain by the Normans.
Does anyone know if this is actually the case, and it's only hares that were
actually native to Britain, or was it simply a different species that the
Normans brought in?

There was a discussion on that within the last year on the Rialto (or
here?). I think it finally worked down to the Romans introduced rabbits
to Britain first. Native hares had always been there. Sometime after
the Romans left the rabbits died out. They were then re-introduced by
the Normans.

Much of this conversation is in this file in the ANIMALS section of
Stefan's Florilegium:
rabbits-msg       (18K)  7/16/97    Medieval rabbits. As pets and food.

Stefan li Rous
markh at risc.sps.mot.com

(Only ten more digests to go. Sigh. Last Friday I had it down to six.
You all (make that we :-) ) talk a lot)