SC - SC- Takany attempt

Russell Gilman-Hunt conchobar at rocketmail.com
Wed Sep 24 08:25:06 PDT 1997

I (blush) don't know what a "ragout" is, but descriptions sound like
what I make with (more blush) ground beef, campbell's vege-beef soup,
and sour cream and put over rice. . .  I get the list in a digest form,
so I'll not quote the recipe to you again (I'd have to cut and paste
it).

(This is also my first-ever look at a medieval recipe with an attempt
to see how I'd make it today)

My version:
Sour Takany
3/4 # beef, chopped to polite bite size
1/4 # either non-sliced bacon, smoked salt pork or good bacon
      (chopped to resemble beef sizes)
3 cloves garlic, chopped coarse
1 peppercorns, ground
2 laurels (snicker)
1/4 tsp dry mustard
1/2 c beef stock
3 Tablespoons lemon juice
1 Tablespoon vinegar (wine or something tasty)
1/2 Tbsp sugar
some lemon zest
1 c sour cream

Heat cast iron pot, brown pig.  Add beef and brown on sides.
Drain off extra pig grease.  Add garlic, peppercorns, laurels,
mustard, and beef stock.  Simmer until all meat is completely
cooked.  Add vinegar, sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice and heat
to boiling, add sour cream, reheat to right temperature (without
boiling).

I suggested the hunk ' bacon or salt pork because I wanted the
pig bits to resemble the cow bits.

===
One man's fish is another man's poisson.

Conchobar
AoA, WOAW, A&S Champion of Three Mountains
Apprentice to Ollamh Lono of Adiantium