SC - Squash

DianaFiona at aol.com DianaFiona at aol.com
Wed Sep 24 11:04:44 PDT 1997

<<
 Because of the fuzzy nature of gourd and squash references and lack of
 documentation some cooks do use zucchini or winter squashes in place of
 guourds in the period recipes that call for such ingredients. This practice
 is at best questionable, IMHO.

 Lord Ras

      I don't know---I've grown a variety of the edible Italian gourds and
they and zucchini are pretty interchangable for cooking puposes. Yes, the
texture of the gourds is firmer, and the flavor is stronger, but recipes for
one seem to generally work for the other. And since you can't, to my
knowledge, easily buy any of the edible gourds in sufficient quantities to
serve at a large feast, I think it's a reasonable substitute. I like it
better than just tossing all the recipes for gourds out the window because we
can't get the real item. Rather like using modern carrots for period

Ldy Diana, who would love to be able to grow the food for her feasts, if she
just had enough space!