SC - Shortbread help, please

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Sep 25 09:26:46 PDT 1997

Peters, Rise J. wrote:

> >>Another possibility, and probably the simplest, is to be sure you use
> the right amount of butter for the other ingredients. Other options
> include substituting non-glutinous flours for some part (up to around
> 15%) of the total wheat flour. Rice flour, cornstarch, etc. Barley
> flour, if you can get it, is excellent for this.
>
> How about ground nuts of some kind, since that's what I have on hand?
>
> My current plan:
>
> (1) Add a little more fat
> (2) Use a little less flour
> (3) Mix gently by hand
> (4) Cook more briefly
> (5) If all else fails, go to the store for slice-and-bake

Ground nuts would do it. You'd get Keebler Pecan Sandies, of course...In
general all of the above would help, except perhaps the last. which
would ensure success up to a point, but at best would limit you to
mediocrity, if you know what I mean. Kind of like a safe, but low-yield
investment, to my mind.

I can't really address the question of periodicity of nuts in
shortbread, which no one has really raised anyway ;  ). Once we can
really document shortbread at all, THEN we should worry about nuts...

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com