SC - Laurels for cooking

ND Wederstrandt nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Sep 26 05:50:52 PDT 1997

Mistress Meabhdh who corresponds regularly on this list received her
Laurel.  In our kingdom we try to make sure that each Laurel is well versed
in several areas even if they excell in one field.  Meabhdh's expertise is
cooking, with an emphasis on Roman.  Several of our other Laurels cook and
cook well, but their primary areas are not cooking per say.  This has been
mentioned several times so she may have felt it was unnecessary to repeat
it.  We have a Laurel who recently moved here from Caid who said that they
really push domestic arts in Caid so there may be a Laurel or two who may
qualify for cooking under that umbrella.
        In the Outlands, Mistress Rodema de Rohan who has been a Laurel for
many years and who wrote "How to Cook Forsoothly" (I believe) was
considered a cooking Laurel among other things.  I don't know how active
she is currently.  It was my first cookbook on medieval cooking after the
infamous "Fabulous Feasts."

        Keep in mind, as is the case of Meabhdh, there may be Laurels who
contribute regularly on this list who just don't sign their titles in front
of their name.  Perhaps it'd be nice to treat everyone like they were a
Laurel and not worry about it.

Most cordially,

Clare RosMuire St. John