SC - stollen

kat kat at kagan.com
Fri Sep 26 11:51:51 PDT 1997

>Bear wrote:
>>>I'll set up a rum pot this weekend in preparation for the holidays.
>This should make my fruit cakes and stollen even better.
>
>Could you share with us your recipe for stollen?  And (just to stay on
>topic<g>) does anyone know the origin and age of same, or a similar period
>item?
>
>=Caitlin, who loves stollen

Caitlin,

	This is not even remotely period, but...

	My mother, who makes killer stollen (though she says it's not quite as good as her grandmother's was) uses the following very simple and very successful method:
	Take Betty Crocker's sweet dough recipe (the one you use for cinnamon rolls).  Make a double batch.  When the dough's ready to bake, knead in the fruits, braid/shape it, decorate with slivered almonds, and bake.  Mom usually ices it with powdered-sugar glaze.
	Like I said, not period... but lovely!

	I remember as a kid, my siblings and I would pick out the "weird stuff"  but we'd eat tons of the bread... Now I'm older, I like the "weird stuff" too...

	- kat     <<<STILL 5 more digests to go... SIGH...>>>