SC - Shortbread help, please

Mon Sep 29 07:53:30 PDT 1997

  so, can you come to my house and help me bake for Christmas?!?!

Like I won't be busy making a couple hundred cookies myself.....

Dante and I make a plain butter cookie for Christmas each year: flour, sugar
butter, but with more butter than shortbread.  We make several varieties:
almond, orange or vanilla flavored, and in two major categories:
jelly-filled, and checkerboard.

I like the jellyfilled: I just put a big thumbprint in the middle of each
cookie, and place a drop of jelly in it.  Dante likes the checkerboard: use
the tines of a fork to crosshatch the tops.  Those get either red or green
sprinkles, depending.  With one recipe we get about 12 varieties.

It doesn't hurt that the major flavorings we use are things like Grand
Marnier and Amaretto....

I used to make a double batch of chocolate chip cookies each week, as well.
I modified the recipe slightly (as if every cook doesn't) to use half whole
wheat flour instead of white, all brown sugar instead of white, but reduced
slightly and with a touch of maple syrup.   'Twas fun!

I try to keep the makings on hand at all times, for those cases where
unexpected company comes by for dinner.

Then, of course, there are the chocolate chip meringues......

	Tibor