SC - Need Help Badly!

Mike C. Baker kihe at rocketmail.com
Mon Sep 29 11:34:26 PDT 1997

- ---Christi Redeker <C-Redeker at mail.dec.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone!
>
> In preparing for my feast, I did a mini-gathering of a
> few friends this weekend and tried all my feast dishes
> (none of the people invited belong to the SCA so I was
> looking for a mundane idea of edible).  Everything came
> out okay but one thing and that is what I need the
> help with.
>
> I made armored turnips and this is how I made it:
> 3 Turnips (fresh, couldn't find any frozen)

Why would you *want* to use frozen with fresh available
and "in season" (other than increased ease of preparation)?

> 1/2 cup milk
> sprinkle of ginger
> sprinkle of cinnamon
> Mild cheddar cheese
>
> Boiled the turnips until done.  Cooled, then peeled and sliced.

Here is the probable sidetrack. Try parboiling, drain completely
and cool (drain & discard water, or save until cool and add
to the compost-midden heap). Then just cover with water and
boil until "done".

When I prepare this dish, I opt for peeling the turnips
before boiling, and add some (beef) boullion for the last
ten minutes or so of cooking. Drain the juice from this
second boiling and reserve, using to supplement or replace
part of the milk. (I personally like to drink any of the
"turnip boullion" that is left while it is still warm.)

I also find that a sharp cheddar can be used for 1/3 to
1/2 of the cheese and improve the final result. YMMV;
I've been accused of being descended from mice...

Don't be timid with the ginger, either. In addition to
the traditional spices used in this recipe, I like to
add some powdered thyme and a little coarse-ground
black pepper.

> Put into a 8X8 baking dish.  Poured in the milk.
> Sprinkle the tops of the turnips witrh the spices.
> Then place the cheese on the top and baked at 325
> for about 35-40 minutes.

I also like to layer the turnips and cheese, and distribute
the spices throughout (top of each turnip layer, or stirred
into the milk & broth before being poured on).

> The problem was that there was an awful bitter aftertaste
> to the turnips.  You tasted them and they were lovely,
> then you had to clear the taste from your mouth with
> another food quickly.

One way to encourage consumption of a feast dish that
your diners may be bypassing as "too common"?  <VBEG>

> What did i do wrong??

Actually, nothing (IMHO). Modern palates vs. ancient.

The act of peeling, and then boiling twice, should take
care of modern sensibilities. I admit that I never
myself considered boiling the turnips BEFORE peeling
them. (Legacy of modern cooking experience and practice,
plus living in areas where assorted grubs and such
are known to invade turnips? Maybe...)

===
Pax ... Kihe / Adieu -- Amra / TTFN -- Mike
Kihe Blackeagle / Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra /
Mike C. Baker       F.O.B. (Friend Of Blackfox)
My opinions are my own -- no one else would want them!