SC - Spices and sensitive palates (and other

Peters, Rise J. PETERSR at spiegel.becltd.com
Tue Sep 30 13:51:41 PDT 1997

Kyhe wrote:

<<ANYTHING served with a quantity of spicing exceeding
the normal modern palate is best served with accompanying
admonitions.

Agreed.  But...

<<Server: "My lords and ladies, for some palates the cook may
have been a little heavy-handed with the ginger in
this dish."

Can we come up with an alternative phrasing that makes clear that it wasn't
the cook making a mistake, but simply a correctly-prepared dish that some
may find surprising?  "Good gentles, this dish, prepared according to a
recipe handed down to the cook by his grandmother, includes enough ginger to
wake the dead."  Or something of that sort.<g>  In either case, folk may
grouse that they don't like ginger, but there's a difference between knowing
that you don't like a particular dish that was fixed correctly, and thinking
that the dish was ruined because the cook erred.