SC - potential problem foods

Peters, Rise J. PETERSR at spiegel.becltd.com
Tue Sep 30 15:08:55 PDT 1997

Rosalinde wrote:

>> However, I've been
served dishes that contained huge quantities of cloves or allspice, or
*way* too much pepper, and found those a bit hard to take.

I wonder sometime if some of the mis-flavorings we note in feasts (cooked by
others, of course) aren't due in part to the fact that dishes frequently
don't get to cook as long as they should.  Because most on-site cooking
starts, at best, on the morning of the feast, it seems that sometimes dishes
(especially stew-type dishes) are served as soon as they are edible, whereas
hours more of stewing would be required to mellow and blend the flavors
properly.  Most cooks know that the beef stew they fix at home is best the
day after it's made, but that principle is hard to apply to feast cooking.

=Caitlin