SC - Slovak/Russian Receipe

Kerry Romano linneah at BellSouth.net
Fri Sep 5 03:09:59 PDT 1997

Rodney L Johnson wrote:

> Greetings,
> I'm wondering if someone can help me find a receipe.  I am not sure if it
> is period but we have searched the world wide web and have been unable
> to locate any source for this Slovak dish.  It is called pegachi?? I'm not
> sure of
> the spelling but it consists of a flat pizza type bottom and it is filled
> with potatoes and cottage cheese and sometimes cabbage.  A top layer of
> dough is added to the top and the edges are pinched shut and then it is
> baked.  My mother used to eat this as a child and we would greatly
> appreciate any info regarding a receipe or if it was period. I have looked
> through my Russian and Czech cookbooks and cannot find it anywhere.
> Thanks.

When I was studying Russian in the Air Force, our instructor invited us
over for "pirashki" (phonetic).  They were very similar to what you
describe.  You must remember that "Russia" is a huge place and has been
for hundreds of years.  Your recipe may be called one thing in the East
and another in the South and still another in the West.(Not unlike the
great BBQ debate/war between North and South - tomato- or
vinegar-based...)  You might try looking for "pierogi" as well, though I
think that is the Polish version.

Also, the size may be different.  I remember them being small - a little
larger than ravioli.

Dosvidanya, tavarishch!
Linneah
Linneah