SC - Here's the recipe

Uduido at aol.com Uduido at aol.com
Wed Sep 10 19:00:22 PDT 1997

<< Yes, I'm probably just as guilty as Vehling of making a modern
 equivocation here, but I think this might come a bit closer to the mark,
 especially since I'm not working on the automatic assumption that a
 recipe run through the eyes of Maitre Escoffier and his ilk is, by
 definition, better.

 I hope and trust no offense is taken here; none intended. But gosh,
 those isicia sound good...

 Adamantius

Actually the use of the cream puff dough was my idea not Vehling's. I am more
inclined to go with the wheat-based polenta idea after re-reading the recipe
and will do so this weekend. I am not offended. I was just playing with this
recipe because when I read it my mouth watered. :-) Let it be said that the
cream puff idea does indeed work and tastes wonderful but I think my work
this weekend will prove to closer to the intended dish.

By the way, don't buy Vehling's book if you are looking for accuracy. It is
way off the mark in many ways including the use of green peppers instead of
green peppercoens and his insistence that green strin beans, white and red
kidney beans, ad nauseum were used in Ancient Rome.

More to come later. 'Salem indere memento!' best describes the mind set you
should have when reading his works. :-)

Lord Ras