SC - snails and other things.

Christi Redeker C-Redeker at mail.dec.com
Thu Sep 11 04:41:42 PDT 1997

>From Gargantua and Pantagruel by Francois Rabelais, 1483-1553:
>'Then he doused the leaves (and pilgrims) with salt, vinegar, and oil, and,
>for refreshment before supper, began to eat.  He had already swallowed five
>pilgrims and the sixth lay under a leaf, completely invisible save for his
>staff, when Grangousier pointed to the latter.
>"Look, Gargantua, that's a snail's horn.  Don't eat it!"
>"Why not?  Snails are good this month."'

This kind of reminds me of the first brave soul who pulled a lobster (ugly looking things that they are) from the ocean and said, "hmm, I wonder how this tastes."  My boyfriend mentions this everytime we eat lobster, so it's not my fault.

Murkial
(Disclaimer added because of posting at 5:40 am.   Things are much funnier to me than other people later than the day)