SC - Columbus - correction

Terry Nutter gfrose at cotton.vislab.olemiss.edu
Sun Sep 14 10:40:43 PDT 1997

Hi, Katerine here.  On the subject of corn: I don't know *who* ate it,
but I do have some very specific period references to its being eaten
as bread in Spain in the 16th century.  This came from a book that
was actually an etymological study of the use of the word "maize"
in Italian, and which contained *tons* of period material using it;
but none of that material, so far as I was able to determine,
referred to any use except in bread, and the great majority of it
discussed use by Native Americans in the New World.  So I join
Adamantius in being uncertain about polenta made from maize that
early.

For those who'd like to see the upshot of what I found, there's
an article on my web site (http://www.cottagesoft.com/~jtn --
go to the culinary zone, from there to the area on ingredients
and their use).

Cheers,

- -- Katerine/Terry