SC - Re: Sugar Stuff

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Sun Sep 14 13:18:39 PDT 1997

Greetings!  (I forgot the thread name since I get the digest
version...)

Adamantius wrote:
>Another possibility is that since the line between hard crack syrup
>and caramel is a fine one, especially in non-shiny pots and the uneven
>light some period kitchens had, the sugar may have become partially
>caramelized by the time the cook realized it had reached the correct
>stage.

>More likely a combination of the two, I suspect.

That's what I had thought at first but then changed my mind.  Once the
sugar has darkened to that caramel stage I haven't been able to make it
come back less dark, and that's what this says: "...and stere it
euermore with a spature till it tourne owte of hys browne colour into a
yelow colour..."  If stirring a carameled sugar syrup would "uncaramel"
it, that would indeed be marvelous!

I will post the Manuscrito Anonimo recipe as soon as I can locate it!

Alys Katharine