SC - Salamanders and badges

Michael Macchione ghesmiz at UDel.Edu
Wed Sep 17 10:37:55 PDT 1997

On Wed, 17 Sep 1997, Erin Kenny wrote:

> Well, so far the online armorial lists 42 devices which contained
> salamanders.  Most of them are "tergiant" (back facing the viewer -
> the only way I would consider it recognizable), and a large percentage
> of them are "enflamed".
>
> The Barony of Bhakail has SIX separate devices and badges registered
> which contain salamanders, including:

> Translation for the heraldically challenged:  It wouldn't be easy to
> pass a badge with a salamander enflamed on a fieldless badge.

That was why my initial suggestion had placed the salamander on the
cheese.  This makes the salamander a tertiary charge and causes less havoc
with conflicts, especially since conflict checking against the cheese
would probably be much easier.

> There is only ONE badge in the armorial which contains cheese
> (snicker), that of the Mercenaries of the Great Nameless Waste:
>   Tierced per pall inverted sable, azure and gules, an arrow fracted
>   in
> chevron to sinister, a wedge of Swiss cheese, and an oak tree
> eradicated, all Or.
>
> BUT, it was passed in 1981.
>
> Translation for the heraldically challenged:   Cheese is not likely to
> conflict, but Jaelle only knows if it will pass.

And as Tibor just posted it seems as if Jaelle is now accepting wedges of
cheese as an allowable charge.

Now as much as I like to jump the gun and get things started as of
yesterday, as a herald I suggest that this gets thought out carefully
before we submit.  Things to think about are: 1) do we really want a badge
submitted? 2) do we want cheesy salamanders or might something else be
more appropriate?  3) Under whose name would it be submitted? 4) since
this discussion is bound to take up a lot of messages, do we really want
this discussion to go in the group, or should we relegate it to a few
people who will bring the results back to the group?

Kael