SC - deep frying

marilyn traber margali at 99main.com
Fri Sep 19 22:03:32 PDT 1997

Mark Harris wrote:

> What does the deep frying do that frying in s shallower pot doesn't?
>
> This seems awfully wasteful of oil, especially if you are only cooking
>
> a few items. Someone mentioned that you could filter the oil for
> reuse?
> How do you do that? Drain it through a colander lined with paper
> towels?
> What then, is this oil only good for future deep frying or can it be
> used for other things?
>
> Was deep frying period? It seems expensive in oil, but I guess in some
>
> areas olive oil was common.

In my fry well, I can do about a dozen beignets at once[fried dough
squares] and they sort of start on the bottom, and when they float free,
I know to turn them over to finish the other side, and as they floa up
they puff out to a cube. If I were to try to fry them in less than an
inch, they wouldnt cook as evenly, and I wouldnt be able to cook as many
at once, If I were to try to cook a doze, then I would need to use my
#16 skillet, and to do an inch and an half of oil in thet would take
more oil than my well.
I filter the oil through a double layer of kitchen gauze and store it in
a glass milk bottle in the fridge, and I have a few of different levels
of oil, the newest stuff that I have used up to 4 times for fried dough,
fruits and vegetables, then the next rung down where I use it for beef
or chicken no more than twice, then the last use is or fish or seafood,
then it goes into the cess for disposal. I use wel-fry, a commercial
veggieoil blend that is liquid at low temp, and I find it doesn't easily
hit a smoke point or go rancid easily. The oil takes about a month to go
from virgin to waste, depending on how often we fry.

I find that in camp, it is less wasteful to deep fry in a covered dutch
oven than it is to pan fry in the monster #16 skillet, the lid serving
to hold in the heat, I don't know how period it is, but fritters were
common...
margali