SC - Cauliflower

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Sep 20 06:58:28 PDT 1997

DianaFiona at aol.com wrote:

>      I seem to vaguely remember that the Romans ate cauliflower, and that
> there is a recipe or two in Apicus? Or am I totally mis-remembering?
>
> Ldy Diana

You may be. I'm not aware of any cauliflower (or broccoli) recipes in
Apicius. I suppose this could be a case of "Vehling strikes again!". (I
have been going through Apicius with a fine-tooth comb, and while I have
been able to locate isicia of mussels, and of squillfish, I have not
been able to locate the scallop recipe Vehling includes in his
translation, so either he was using a different manuscript from Flower
and Rosenbaum (the definitive version, IMO,) or he has distorted the
original text for some reason.

If so, there could be recipes for things like cabbage, mustards, or
sprouts, that have been turned into recipes for cauliflower or broccoli,
purporting to be recipes from Apicius.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com