SC - killer candy recipe.

Aine of Wyvernwood sybella at gte.net
Fri Sep 26 21:38:13 PDT 1997

although this may or may not be period...of any wants to win
a dessert contest this should do it...sweet, rich, and to
die for.....
the name is deceptive...it is in truth homemade
caramels...with pecans...

OKLAHOMA BROWN CANDY.

2 cups sugar into heavy skillet [that means a cast iron
frying pan]
4 cups sugar + 2 cups milk in deep heavy kettle
cook sugar in skillet over low heat, stiring with wooden
spoon as it melts
slowly becoming the color of brown sugar.  Don;t smoke or
turn dark brown
[tastes nasty if you do].
When sugar in skillet starts melting, set kettle with sugar
and milk mizture over low heat and simmer as you continue
melting sugar.
When melted, pour in fine stream into kettle, stirringn all
the time to blend.
[if it does not blend perfectly, but becomes a lump, it is
okay it will melt].
Cook and stir until the mixture reaches firm ball stage,
244-248 degrees.
Remove from heat and add 1 stick of butter [butter NOT
margarine] and stir, then add 1.2 teaspoon of soda and stir
vigourously [it will bubble up, that is
okay]  Set aside and add 2 or 3 teaspoons of vanilla and
beat until the candy becomes thick and dull.
Fold in 4 cups [I use 5 to 8 cupps] of broken nuts [I use
pecans] and pour into a buttered pans....a large cookie tin
with sides is perfect and will nearly fill the
whole tin.

ps... I use 1/2 cup canned [evaporated] milk and 1/.2 cup
regular whole milk.

this candy is rich, creamy and to die for.....it is very
easy to make, even tho it sounds complicated and makes up in
less than an hour, the problem is in waiting for the candy
to cool to eat....let it get sorta hard then cut into
squares.
warning it is rich, and very sweet, after it is carmelized
sugar...it should be
sorta soft...like real caramels...the ones from the store...

my mom makes it for me without the nuts...as I dislike nuts
of any  sort...
but it is still marvelous with the nuts...I think pecans are
best, have tried all the others and most people tell me that
they prefer pecans, besides it is soooooo
southern [is there any other way to be, southern that
is...grins]

Aine