SC - Noemi's recipe challenge

Varju at aol.com Varju at aol.com
Mon Sep 29 11:04:16 PDT 1997

Ok, as promised, here is my version.  You may notice that I don't have the
saffron and mace included, that is because I haven't found amounts that I am
happy with for these ingredients.

Savanyu Vetrece  (Sour Vetrece)

2 lbs. beef
1/4 lb bacon
1-2 cloves of garlic
1 Tbsp. of pepper
2-3 bay leaves
1 Tbsp mustard powder
1 tsp sugar
juice of one lemon
rind of one lemon
2 tsp grated fresh ginger
1 c. white vinegar
1 c. sour cream

Cut beef into bite sized cubes and chop garlic.  Cook bacon, then add beef,
garlic and pepper.  Brown beef then add mustard powder, lemon rind lemon
juice, ginger, and 1/2 c. vinegar.  (Note test the ginger before you grate
it, based on tanginess you may want to adjust the amount used.).  Cook for 30
minutes, then add remaining vinegar to taste and cook until beef is tender.
 Add sour cream and cook until sauce thickens slightly.

Noemi