SC - Noemi's recipe challenge

Varju at aol.com Varju at aol.com
Tue Sep 30 08:34:39 PDT 1997

I'm a bit late with this comparison (my husband was working on Web stuff last
night so I didn't get a chance to get on again.)  I think all three versions
of the sour vetrece were quite interesting.  I like the idea of using a wine
or balsamic vinegar rather than the white vinegar I used.  This will also
help me with deciding the amounts of saffron and mace to use.  I was actually
surprised by how similar each version was. Also how the dish would have been
served was fun.  Since Tarhonya is a Hungarian dumpling it would be perfect,
as would the noodles that Brid suggested.   I found Conchobar's addition of
beef stock very interesting because I almost did the same thing the first
time I ever made the sour vetrece. (I thought it would be far too sour with
all the vinegar, but found out the sour cream levels the taste out quite a
bit.)

Out of curiousity, Adamantius, why did you decide to use prepared mustard
rather than mustard powder?

Also, anyone who tries any of these versions let me know how they tasted and
what the reaction to them was.  My version has been served several times,
each with slight variations as I got the ingredient amounts right, and has
been very sucessful.

Noemi

P.S.  I appologize for turning up on the list in multiples yesterday.  My
e-mail was acting flakey and somehow one message that was supposed to have
been deleted (the second thankyou not that appeared on the list) got sent and
somhow my version of the recipe appeared twice.  Ah. . .the joys of
technology. . .