SC - OT - OOP -- chili

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Wed Apr 1 00:26:44 PST 1998

OK, folks, now you needto learn about

Phlip's Proper Chili

1 lb of dried beans, preferably at least three kinds
1 lb meat, cut in thin strips
big can of tomatoes, or 2 16 oz cans
Onions
Head of garlic
Red Wine
Cinnamon
Chile powder

Soak and soften beans, overnight preferred. If you add about 2 Tablespoons
of baking soda, and rinse WELL! they become fartless. Chop a big onion, or
two or three small ones. Dismantle and crush or mince garlic. Saute onions
and garlic in good skillet in a bit of oil until fragrant, add meat and
brown. Add to beans. Toss in tomatoes and juice and mix a bit. Add about
one cup of good red wine. Add water until the mix is fluid and won't burn,
but isn't soupy. Heat gently. When hot through, add cinnamon to taste, and
chile powder. Cook on low heat for about 3 hours, stirring occasionally and
adding just enough water to keep fluid. Take off stove, and place in
refrigerator, covered overnight. Heat up next day, and correct seasonings
as soon as it's hot, then let slow cook for another hour. Serve with grated
cheese and fresh cut onion, aand cornbread on the side- if you serve it
with or over pasta, for Heaven's sake, don't tell me about it!

Chile powder.

This is my own special blend, made mostly from peppers I grow in my garden
and blend according to how they grew this year. I mix as many different
dried peppers as I can, adding about 1/4 by volume of Chipotles for the
smoky flavor. Depending on that year's flavor, I may or may not add a bit
of cumin. The idea is not to add a bunch of bright hot peppers like
habeneros or Thai peppers, though I have a few of them in there, but to
have a nice slow, warm burn. I will not specify how much chile powder or
cinnamon to use, as that is a matter of personal taste, but the cinnamon
should never be more than 1/4 the volume of the chile powder. A tablespoon
of chile powder should be plenty to start. ALWAYS add these spices after
the chili is hot- the flavors are brighter that way.

phlip at morganco.net

Never a horse that cain't be rode,