SC - "Noble foods"?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Apr 1 03:14:51 PST 1998

Angelique said
>P.S. I have the following books:
>Fast and Feast by Bridget Ann Henisch.
Very useful on theory

>Pleyn Delit, 2nd edition, by Constance Hieatt,Brenda Hosington and
>Sharon Butler.
Anything by Constance Hieatt - Ordinance of Pottage, and the latest one
whos'  name I've forgotten (which is slightly less user friendly - the
originals are at the front and the redactions at the back).

>Fabulous Feasts by Madeleine Pelner Cosman

the text at the front is OK and quite informative (although she does assume
what was going on in London is true of the whole country - and Henisch is
better).  Don't touch the recipes with a bargepole (as everyone else has
said).  She has also published a book on holidays, which suffers from the
same faults (P.W Hammond's book is better).

>and
>the Medieval Cookbook by Maggie Black

This is the British Museum publication?  Probably the collection of their
little cookbooks, so the medieval section is by her (and she edited) and the
16th century section by Peter Brears (who is also very good, especially at
sugarwork - he organises the cooking at Hampton Court each year).  Nice
little collections - a very good recipe for pike.  She also wrote a book for
the Weald and Downland Museum which I haven't seen.

Caroline