SC - April Fool's

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt liontamr at ptd.net
Wed Apr 1 04:45:33 PST 1998

> Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 20:44:12 EST
> From: LrdRas <LrdRas at aol.com>
> Subject: SC - Precious Gems

> To shorten this lengthy post (my apologies to all!) What dishes were reserved
> for Royalty? 2) What ideas does anyone have about the reason a particular item
> was reserved?

I remember reading somewhere, probably Bridget Anne Henisch's "Fast And
Feast" about a Secret Dish specifically reserved for the English
Coronations, and what was sometimes involved in keeping a retainer who
knew the recipe. I don't recall the name of the dish, but I do recall
never having seen it referred to in nay of the period sources, which
either proves Henisch's point, or debunks it, I guess, depending on your
level of conservatism.

As far as period examples go, I would say that there are enough period
recipes that specify what should be served "to a lord" vs. what would be
served to ordinary gentry, such as a half or whole pheasant, or
whatever, instead of a quarter (again, or whatever). Then, of course,
there is probably enough evidence to suggest that leftovers were given
to the poor, so we can probably safely assume that there would have been
a fairly recognizable pecking order for such disbursals. I doubt too
many dishes were actually forbidden to those of the lower classes who
happened to have been in the right place at the right time. Except, no
doubt, for the Secret Royal Dish.

Then there are the various "Royal prerogative" game fish, such as
porpoise or dolphin (yes, Ras, just like whale! ;  )  ) sturgeon, and, I
think, pike may have been included at one time. I believe this was
mostly an English Thing, which the rest of us Wouldn't Understand.

I'm also put in mind of the story of Fionn Mac Cumhall, who had to catch
and cook the Salmon of Knowledge, or some such, for the oldest, and
presumably the wisest, Druid in Ireland. Fionn is forbidden to taste of
the fish, but burns his thumb on the magic fish's scalding juices, pops
it into his mouth, and BAMF!...receives the power of clairvoyance.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com