SC - Piquant foods

LrdRas LrdRas at aol.com
Wed Apr 1 06:32:36 PST 1998

Elizabeth of Dendermonde/Betty Cook replied to the mention of:
>>the Medieval Cookbook by Maggie Black
>I don't know this one.

This was the first medieval cookbook I ever acquired (courtesy of my mother
and the Past Times stores in Britain).  It's pretty good, in that Black does
include all the primary sources for her recipes, often several variations
from different sources.   I've found, though, that at times she
over-modernises them a little in her redactions - I tend to find myself
adapting back to the original at some points, in rejection of her updated
style.  It's a lovely, glossy book with beautiful pictures, mostly from
medieval sources, many in colour.  She seems to draw mostly from The Goodman
of Paris, Two 15th-Century Cookery Books, Curye on Inglysch and a couple of
others.

Random information distribution!

In service,
Melisant