SC - OT - OOP -- chili

Woeller D angeliq1 at erols.com
Wed Apr 1 07:32:08 PST 1998

Very close.  The common tool for cutting in is a stirrup shaped device with
a set of parallel blades on the bottom, called, strangely, a pastry knife.
It breaks up solid shortening and forces flour into the cuts creating a pile
of little pieces of flour coated shortening, or crumb.  A fork can make a
suitable replacement for a pastry knife.

Personally, I've never had much luck with a pastry knife and liquids like
eggs, so I use a fork and a quick stirring motion to break the liquids apart
and get them coated to make a crumb.

Bear