SC - Uses for Rose Syrup

THL Renata THLRenata at aol.com
Wed Apr 1 21:17:15 PST 1998

> Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 07:43:27 -0800
> From: "Anne-Marie Rousseau" <acrouss at gte.net>
> Subject: Re: SC - Piquant foods
>
> Hi all from Anne-Marie
> Ras talks about chili peppers and their use.
>
> Here's a brain game for you...imagine chinese food without peppers. No hot
> and sour soup! No Kung Pao Chicken! No fishing for those $%& red pepper
> pods in your food! Funny how we get used to a cuisine and just assume its
> always been that way...one of the dangers of using modern ethnic cookbooks
> as a source for "period" recipes.

I just eat the $%& red pepper pods. But actually it is quite easy to
imagine Chinese food without chilies. You just look into the _many_ fine
regional cuisines that use few or none of them, such as most of the
cooking of Southern China. It's just unfortunate that this cuisine was
thrown to the dogs by American and other restauranteurs outside of
China, probably due to the difficulty in getting the necessary fresh
vegetables. Funny, I never thought of shallots, garlic, ginger, salted
mustard knobs, and salted black beans with five spice, to name but a
few, as bland...but karma is working just fine, and the wheel turns.
They are selling far more garbage nowadays, disguised in rather boring
chili sauces, usually made from sugar, with a chili pepper waved over
the wok during cooking, than they ever did when it was disguised under
starch-thickened chicken stock. Remember the stuff that would solidify
when cold? I dare say there are people old enough, on this list, who
aren't old enough to remember that kind of Chinese food.

Adamantius, whose adamant views on chili have been discussed often
enough elsewhere
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com