SC - Rapes

LrdRas LrdRas at aol.com
Thu Apr 2 19:56:03 PST 1998

Yeldham, Caroline S wrote:
>         Marzipan or marchpane was used to make subtleties, amongst other
> things.  However, its not just ground almonds.  Its half ground almonds,
> half finely pounded sugar, mixed with egg to make a paste.  The paste is

The recipes I have seen and used contain almonds, sugar and rosewater
(sometimes orange flower water). I grind the (blanched and peeled)
almonds in a eletric food processor, add slightly less sugar (grind
again) and enough rosewater to help it stick together (grind more). I've
found that putting the blanched and peeled almonds in a hot oven for a
minute to dry them seems to help the consitency of the marzipan.

I was never very good with play-dough so I usally make small balls,
squash them flat and bake. If you try this at home, use baker's paper
(parchment?) on your cookie sheets. Evil, sticky things will happen if
you do not.

Artistically Talented people who want to make cool things with marzipan
should look at "Banquetting Stuffe" edited by C. Anne Wilson. IIRC,
there is an essay on the forms and uses of marzipan in mid/late english
renissance.

There was a TI article about marchpane some time ago, but I do not
remember who wrote it.

Humm, re-reading my post I noticed that I use marchpane and marzipan
interchangably. Is there a difference?

Crystal of the Westermark