SC - help?

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Fri Apr 3 10:36:49 PST 1998

On Friday, April 03, 1998 12:57 AM, david friedman [SMTP:ddfr at best.com]
wrote:
> >: Why would someone want to camp without a cooler?
>
> 1. Because it is a strikingly out of period accessory, hence makes the
> encampment seem less period, and
Then Hide it!!
A cushion and a blanket and it is a nice bench A piece of plywood and a
table cloth and it is a very effective small table.

> 2. Because it is a nuisance--you have to keep fetching ice, and at
some
> inconvenient time it will dump melted water someplace you don't want
it.

I regard Diarrhea and puking as a greater inconvenience. Fetching ice
and morning water dumps are a small price to pay for avoiding this.

Especially check the level of water, several times a day.
It is better, by the way, to use several small coolers than one large.
At least keep raw meats separate from vegetables and dairy. Keep a
separate cooler for drinks, too.  Using several coolers shortens the
time any one cooler is opened, which slows down the melting, and keeps
the food colder. A cooler can't do it's job effectively if it gets
opened every 5 minutes for a drink.

> A more period style of camping, actually. One part of that is forcing
us to
> deal with some of the constraints they faced in similar situations.

A Laudable ambition, and one I admire, but not one for me. I like the
way I am use to camping. and since it is my vacation, I also want to
camp as I like. Besides, since I keep the coolers covered and hidden,
why not?

> Why? Cheese keeps much longer than that outside a cooler, as do eggs.
> Pickled meat keeps for weeks. Dried beans keep more or less for ever,
as
> does dried pasta.
I will try to add more of these to my menu, they will add to my
recreation. Who knows, I may yet move to the Enchanted Campground style
of camping by osmosis! I am making a more serious effort to maintain my
persona this year...
> Period cooking when camped somewhere not close to markets where you
could
> get fresh food, and without sufficient herds for slaughter.
That describes Pennsic, right enough!
Still if I have a cooler, I can pretend that I have been raiding or
buying meat killed for guests from a cold room under an inn somewhere
near by.
I like my meat.

Brandu

http://www.iconn.net/gedney1/