SC - Re: FW: Neopolitan ice cream

marilyn traber mtraber at email.msn.com
Fri Apr 3 20:26:36 PST 1998

I remember from my misspent youth an article (in Mother Earth News? Can't
remember) where they did side by sides on eggs. Washed some, froze some,
chilled some, left some at room temp. The chilled, UNWASHED eggs lasted the
longest, the room temp unwashed eggs were second. Freezing eggs is nasty, I
guess (unless you dont care what they look like, ie mix 'em up first).

Eggs are by nature sterile (which is why in the old days we used them to
grow viral cultures, etc). Its the outside of the egg that isnt.

Coming out of the chicken, the egg is coated with a thin layer of protein
that renders the shell impermiable to air (dont think about it too hard,
its kinda nasty). Makes sense...after laying, the egg istn refrigerated and
yet doesnt spoil, right? It stays fresh enough to grow a baby chicken, in
fact.

The down side of this is that unwashed eggs will often have
other......materials....on them, and these are rife with cooties,
especially in this day and age of antibiotic resistant nasty bacteria.

I think I'd go ahead and wash them, so as not to contaminate everything in
site with chicken feces, but realize that you might not be getting the
freshest eggs in town after a week or so. Please realize, too, that this
means only that your egg may be a bit dried out. That shell is pretty much
impervious to bacteria, so unless the integrity of the shell is breached in
some way (and believe me, you'll know it!!!) you should be fine.

- --AM, who wouldnt refridgerate her eggs, except that the door has those
neat egg shaped holes in it...