SC - Vivats!!

Seton1355 Seton1355 at aol.com
Sun Apr 5 11:24:56 PDT 1998

.

> Now any ideas for a late period french feast for our fall event?

The Madrone Culinary GUild did a banquet of late period French food a few
years back. Most all the recipes were documented from Taillevent, le
Menagier, Chiquart or la Varenne (I told you it was late!). The food was
amazing, if I do say so myself.

We had:
Chicken with a cinnamon orange sauce (from le Menagier)
spinach tarts (from la Varenne)
mushrooms stewed with fresh herbs (from la Varenne)
egg bread (from la Varenne)
pear tart (from la Varenne)
parma tarts (a serving dish surrounded with dough crennelations, decorated
with the arms of the visiting dignitaries, filled with the cinnamon orange
chicken) (from Taillevent and Chiquart)
lamb with sauce robert (from all the sources, in one form or another)
turnips in a mustard sauce (from Chiquart?)
mushroom pasties (from le Menagier)
marzipan tart (a custardy tart with preserved fruit on top, on a marzipan
crust) (la Varenne)
lemon salad (this one is from an Italian source, actually, if memory
serves!)
stuffed eggs (la Varenne)
compound salat (la Varenne)
peach and grape tarts (cant remember the source on this one...might have
been secondary)
ypocras (we used white grape juice instead of wine, due to site
restrictions) (all the sources, but we used la Varennes)

I have also since completed a potential complete anachronist with a large
number more recipes reconstructed from the above sources. There's also a
fun source in the process of being translated right now from the 1500s.
Kinda an "international cookbook", if you will. Should be fun, especially
since it falls right in the gap in time between the medieval cookbooks of
Taillevent and Chiquart and the most unmedieval la Varenne.

Let me know what I can do to help, we're hping to get these recipes onto a
web site soon.
- --Anne-Marie