SC - Of Interest

cassie cassie at sally.nas.nasa.gov
Mon Apr 6 11:56:08 PDT 1998

Christi Redeker wrote:

> Not to bring up the long dead topic of whether corn is a period food item

But corn is period :) :) :)

If I remember correctly the term "corn" was used to reference any cereal
 grain (wheat, oats, ...)

Although probably not eaten, Maize (what we think of modernly as corn)
was at
least known in period. In a 16th century herbal there is a drawing of an
ear
of maize.

> "Perfectly preserved in the waterlogged sediments were the remains of a 13th
> century corn mill, consisting of the wooden foundations and an over 6 metre
> long water-wheel drife shaft."

What you basically have is a mill for grinding grains into a flour.

Euriol

- --
Cassandra Baldassano            cassie at nas.nasa.gov
Sterling Software               (650) 604-6007 or (800) 331-8737 x6007
Supporting:                     M/S 258-6
Systems Control                 NASA Ames Research Center
Database Administration         Moffett Field, CA 94305-1000