SC - Food Spoilage Table

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Tue Apr 7 07:01:26 PDT 1998

	>Here is a question from the Calontir list. I am curious myself,
having never
	>heard of the stuff.
	>beatrix

	>I have a friend in need of a aethelbrose recipe.  I checked my
brewing
	>folder and all I have is a cider and fruit liquour recipes. Does
anybody
	>out there have a recipe handy?

	>Lukas Mesmer - 16th Century Landsknecht
	>Barony of Three Rivers
	>It's always darkest before daylight savings time.

> Atholbrose is an oatmeal, cream, honey(?) and whiskey mixture, chilled and
> served.  I suspect it of being modern; it turns up in 'taste of Scotland'
> collections.  so its not brewing related.
>
> Period oranges - I understood period oranges to be Seville oranges, which
> turn up in England in January and February (they don't keep well, but the
> consolation is that they freeze well).  They are as sour as lemons and
> less juicy, mostly used in marmalade recipes.  Could the blood oranges be
> closer to the portingale orange of the 16th century, which was supposed to
> be sweeter than the seville orange but not as sweet as the modern orange?

 1 tsp dried sweet basil>>

?

 All in all , Iwithout having recourse to the original recipe, IMHO, this is
one of the more bastardized recipes found in Fabulous Feasts. Other opinions
please?

Ras

	I'd agree with Ras on this.  On the other hand, I wouldn't bother
with dried basil at all (or Fabulous Feasts' recipes).

	Cindy said

2)I am opening with Wardonys in Syrup, and I have found a few different
versions.  Some boils the pears till tender in water, and some use a red
wine with mulberries.  I was wondering if anyone had done this and which
	they used, and results, that sort of thing...

	I haven't had access to mulberries, but I have done it with red wine
both with and without saunders.  I've also done it with saffron and honey
(trying to ring the changes within the theme).  Any of these work well, red
wine gives a reasonable colour, red wine and saunders gives a lovely
mulberry colour and I was very pleased with the saffron, honey and white
wine mixture - the pears went a lovely yellow colour and on reduction the
juices turned into a caramel brown toffee mixture.  I use pears as hard as I
can find (no access to wardens), peel them first and poach them gently in
the mixture - then remove and boil down the remains to a toffee sauce
mixture.

	Caroline